How to choose Paid Leave Oregon coverage
Follow this step-by-step guide to Paid Leave when you’re self-employed.
If you choose coverage, you will need to create an account in Frances Online.
What is Frances Online?
Frances Online is both Oregon’s payroll reporting system and its online system for applying for Paid Leave and unemployment benefits.
Have questions? Visit our commonly asked questions about Frances Online.Create an account now:
Step 1: Have your documents ready
You’ll need the following information and documents before you can create an account and choose coverage:
- Your Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). Paid Leave needs this information to verify your income.
- Your previous year’s federal and state personal income tax return to verify your net income from self-employment from the most recent tax year. If don't have a copy, you can request a copy from the Oregon Department of Revenue (DOR).
Step 2: Choose coverage
- When you are ready to choose coverage, you will use Frances Online to create an account.
Step 3: Check Frances Online
- After you request coverage, the Oregon Employment Department will make a decision to approve or deny your request.
- If the department approves your request, your coverage starts on the date we received your request.
Once the Oregon Employment Department approves your request for coverage, here’s what you will need to do:
- Pay your contributions every quarter on Frances Online—self-employed people pay the employee portion.
- You will receive an invoice for your payment each quarter. We will mail this invoice to you, and you can also view it in Frances Online. You can make your payment online or you can mail it to us. You can use the contributions calculator to estimate your payment.
- Every year, by April 30, report your net income from self-employment in Frances Online and provide a copy of your federal and state personal income tax return by submitting the Annual Income Verification Form in Frances Online.
Benefits begin on Sept. 3, 2023. Here’s what you need to know:
- You will be eligible for the same benefits as employees. Learn more about those benefits and the types of leave you can take.
- In most cases, you must pay contributions for at least 1 quarter before you are eligible for benefits.
- The benefit amount you will receive depends on when you start making contributions and when you take leave.
- You can get your full benefit amount after you’ve paid contributions for a year. If you’ve paid contributions for less than a year, the benefit amount will be less.
How to apply for benefits
When you are ready to apply for benefits, you will use Frances Online and create a claimant account. This is a separate account from the account you created to choose your coverage.
Have questions? Visit our commonly asked questions about Frances Online.
Create an account now:
Learn more about how coverage works when you’re self-employed.